Caitlynne and I are driving down the road with Paxton in the backseat. We get to the grocery store, get out and put Paxton in the grocery basket. Then, bam! We are trampled by the long row of baskets being pushed by the basket pushing machine that's being operated by the teenager who was texting while pushing the carts. Paxton is now an orphan.
Sound familiar? It should. This is how almost every animated Disney movie starts out.
I was talking to a fellow dad blogger on Twitter not too long ago and he brought up a good point. He was talking about how disappointed he was in Disney because many of their animated movies have very graphic themes to them.
I started to think about it as it relates to what I would want Paxton to watch when he's old enough. Then it hit me. Why does Disney always kill off parents? If they aren't dead, then they're not around. Why?
Sometimes Disney really feels like throwing a kink into the family model by killing off the parents in the movie, not just setting the kid up as an orphan.
Even the movies that we all love today- like Toy Story. Would the plot integrity have been jeopardized if Andy had a Dad?
Does Babmbi's mom need to get shot at the beginning of the movie? If it's crucial that Mufasa dies, do we need to see the stampede?
Disney does a good job of making those horrific incidents not seem so gory. Almost to the point of where it seems innocent. But think about what's happening. If you don't remember all the instances them do a You Tube search with a box of kleenexes.
I guess I'm just glad my life isn't a Disney movie. And I'm also nervous about riding It's a Small World next time I'm at Disney World.
No comments:
Post a Comment