Moms are awesome. The whole concept behind motherhood is simply amazing. They sacrifice their bodies to bring a person into the world. Not only are they gaining weight from the baby that's growing inside of them, but they also have cravings and hormonal fluxes that force them to want to eat more, and sometimes not as healthy. After the baby comes and mom has lost that 12-15 pounds that came out with the baby (I don't want to talk about it) she's stuck with the rest. According to the AMA, the average female should gain about 35-40 pounds during a pregnancy. However, the average women gains 50-60 pounds.
It's easy to understand the struggle that women have with weight after pregnancy. What about the men? The average male gains about 14 pounds during their wife's pregnancy. There is actual research out there that points to men who are sensitive to their wives' wants and needs will gain more weight during a pregnancy (closer to about 20-25 pounds). Many researchers believe this is because those particular men subconsciously gain more weight to make their partner feel more comfortable in her changing body.
Let's just say I must really care about my wife...
So, with all of that being said, it's time that I get back to my pre-baby weight. I started two programs this week.
1. Couch to 5K
I'm excited about this one. Well, as excited as you can be about running. This helps people who haven't been running be able to run a 5K within weeks, but without getting burned out from over doing it in the beginning. It's also cool because it has a free iPhone App that instructs you as you go. You can also play music from your iPhone through the app.
I'm doing it 3 times a week in the morning.
2. 100 Pushups
This one is a bit more tough. It's also three times a week. By 10 weeks I should be able to 2 sets of 50 pushups. Pushups seem so easy. I'm aching from just doing the test phase last night. Although it didn't help that I played kickball for a couple of hours this weekend. That's right, kickball. It also has an iPhone App, but it's $1.99. My phone has replaced my brain in a lot of ways, but simple counting is one function I can still manage.
Let's see if I can get back to my college weight and strength without a gym membership.
See what you caused?

No comments:
Post a Comment