Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It was all a blur

Paxton is coming up on one year. That's right- we've kept him alive for almost 12 months. It's pretty incredible what the human body can go through and still come out on the other side.

I look back at the day we had Paxton and it's fuzzy. I can remember going into the hospital that night. Caitlynne was getting induced. The medicine would start that night and the doctor would come in and break the water in the morning. That night is clear. I remember Caitlynne taking a bath at home before we went in so she could keep her calm. I remember the drive to the hospital.

I slept on some uncomfortable couch. When will hospitals learn? Men stay at the hospital with their wives. Put a bed in the room for them. I slept pretty well, but I doubt Caitlynne did. I just remember waking up and the doctor was in the room. It was about 6:30.

I don't remember much after that. I just remember the nurse taking us down to the car and leaving. No instruction manual. I was secretly hoping that she wasn't just escorting us out. That she would get in the back seat and come live with us. Show us what to do. Nope, she just left. Probably went upstairs and had a Subway sandwich. This is pretty much how I remember it all.




I learned some valuable lessons that day for men. Here are some of the best tips from my experience:

1. Don't underestimate the stress you're under. Women go through a TON during labor and delivery. But what often goes unnoticed is the toll that the whole process takes on the man. Get your rest before the big day (if you know when it's going to be).

2. Eat. I didn't have much of an appetite. Family brought me food and I ate some of it. I felt bad because Caitlynne didn't get to eat all day and I didn't want to eat in front of her. However, she didn't feel like eating because of her anxiety and the medicine. I barely ate all day, and by the time it was all over my hunger hit me like a brick and the hospital cafeteria is already closed.

3. Take charge. You're part of the team. You're job is to keep her comfortable. She needs your encouragement. She needs you ask people to leave the room when she needs rest or the contractions are too much. Like our doctor so elegantly put it, "This isn't a damn party." You're not in there to observe. You're in there to help her where you can.

3.5 Use your nurse to do the dirty work. If she needs a break or when the room is getting too crowded nurses are there for you. Pull them to the side and tell them you need a break. They will do the dirty work of clearing everyone out.

4. Don't take anything personally. It wasn't like the movies for us. Caitlynne wasn't yelling at me during the delivery. If it happens to you, don't take it personally. Even if she's short or snippy. Just let everything roll off.

4.5 Make sure this happens.



5. Let her rest. You may be worn out, but take that exhaustion and multiply it by 1000 and you'll be where she is. Offer to change the diapers and get up with the crying baby to let her sleep. Chances are she will get up too. But make the effort.

6. Don't drop your baby...

7. Whatever you do, don't forget to do this. It's the most important step of them all.



No comments:

Post a Comment