The evening sky was beginning to set. It was the time of the night where crickets begin their nightly tune and the sun peeks through our western most windows.
Paxton was in his foulest of moods. The surface of every reachable table top has been cleared with a single sweep of his broad arms. He was an agent of chaos who was perturbed by the delay of his nightly feast.
He was crying because of his hunger but he was throwing his carrots to salivating mouth of his furry companion who was patiently waiting down below. I sat there and watched his demise. I could see his eyes looking upon me knowing how weak I was. I wouldn't do what was running through my head and he was sure of it.
What happened next made time stand still. Everyone was frozen in disbelief that I would even consider what I was about to do. I, king of the castle was about to give in. I grabbed his spoon. The cold plastic felt uncomfortable against my skin. Was it the plastic? Or was it the thought of my next move that brought my discomfort?
I slowly dug the toddler raviolis out if his bowl. One bite, two bites three bites, four. His face was lightened with excitement. Not only was he getting the food he wanted, but he had won. I had lost. I hung my head in defeat.
But there was no defeat. He was celebrating the way that 14 month old boys do. Screeching with delight. But he made a fatal error. He lost sight of his spoon. Yes, the utensil that brought him his victory would now bring on his downfall.
I slowly looked up as sweat came upon my brow. I moved the spoon slowly towards the wretched orange carrots. My hand was shaking but steady enough for my next task. I scooped up a spoonful of carrots from the tray in front of him.
He was still basking in glee as I tactfully put the spoon of orange disgust in his empty ravioli bowl. He swooped his head straight forward with a look of concern on his face like a guard who hears a twig snap in the woods. Had he seen me? Was a I caught in the act?
A smile crept back to his devious face. He was ready for that next bite of scrumptious ravioli. I pulled out the utensil of death which held the orange disgust. He opened his mouth and waited for me to slide the food into his mouth.
A feeling of doubt rushed over me. Was it a trap? The vision of me getting close and he shuts his mouth and slaps the spoon out of my hands. Carrots flying everywhere. I snapped out of day dream of fear and came to.
Before I knew it the spoon was in his mouth. I waited for his look of disappointment. The big blue sorrowful eyes that pierce my heart with the guilt of betrayal. The look never came. The carrots slid down his gullet like a water droplet down a pane of glass.
He squealed with excitement and it became clear. He's unaware of the difference. I did it. I reclaimed my rightful place. No more shame. No more despair.
This is probably my favorite one yet.
ReplyDelete