Sunday, April 15, 2012

The birthday curse

I'm happy to report that Paxton didn't inherit this from me. For real, I've had some weird, unfortunate and/or painful events unfold on my birthday.

It all started when I was 8. I had my birthday at DZ Discovery Zone. You know, that place where a kid can be a kid (or whatever their tagline was). I don't remember how it happened because it was all so fast. But, I was on the jumpy thing and my arm got tangled in the safety net (how ironic). When I fell backwards my arm twisted and broke in 3 places. It was a spiral break, and very painful. To top it all off, kids were still jumping and I can just remember laying there bouncing up and down with my broken arm.

Fast forward 2 years. I was bowling with my parents. I had grabbed my bowling ball and... now we are going to play a game. Who watched America's Funniest Home Videos? You know the part where they show the first part of the clip and the audiences guesses what gets hurt.

Did I:
a. Drop the ball on my foot?
b. Drop the ball on the tile before the wood floor so it bounced back up and hit me in the face?
c. Roll the bowling ball down the lanes and my finger got stuck in there?

If you answered "b" then you're correct. Right back up into my mouth.

One year later my Mom took my birthday cake out of the oven and onto the stove top not remembering that the burners were just turned off. It would have been the ultimate terrorist dirty bomb as glass shattered all over the kitchen. Thank goodness no one was in the kitchen.

That's what started it all. The trifecta of birthday disasters. It didn't stop there, but I won't continue. The others aren't as funny as I look back on them.

About 2 weeks out from Paxton's birthday party he started hurting himself. More falls. More tumbles. I just knew it was going to happen. I was determined that it was genetic.

He's officially in the safe zone. He's a few weeks out from his birthday and no major incidents. We're good.



No comments:

Post a Comment