Monday, October 15, 2012

You love me more than Pepsi?

I don't know if something's wrong with me but I just don't have a ton of vivid memories of my early childhood. My wife and her sisters remember everything. Maybe something's wrong with them. It's not like I don't remember anything. I just have short quips in my mind that I specifically remember.

One of those memories was with my Dad who was an avid Pepsi drinker (maybe not so much anymore). We were in a store somewhere and I remember asking him if he loved me more than Pepsi. His response was "of course son. I love you more than you'll ever know" To him it was one of those funny things kids say. To me, it was an authentic question that I wanted an answer to.

We always laugh at what kids say because as Bill Cosby put it, they do say the darnest things. But those questions come with authentic concern. And our answers shape their perception. For me, a simple yes was good enough. I believed it. What if he said something like "I don't know son, it's a close call" or something as innocent as that. Obviously he's joking but to me maybe not. And he sees my concern and corrects it but how I perceived that emotion is with me today.

So, basically there's a good chance I'm going to screw this up.



No comments:

Post a Comment