Sunday, September 16, 2012

Be better tomorrow

Toddlers are comparable to an elongated state to bipolar disorder. Happy, happy, happy and then sad, angry and confused. Caitlynne walks though the door and Paxton is so happy that he starts laughing and then crying. He's a mess of emotions which makes him unpredictable, and makes us delusional.

A few nights ago Paxton was doing his thing. Constantly climbing on the couch which always leads to the same thing. First, he tries to pull the pictures off the wall, and then he falls off the couch. Basically he was doing his agent of chaos routine.

As I was putting him to bed that night I muttered "I love you" and followed up with "Be better tomorrow." At the time that statement could have been taken at face value, but I've been thinking about it over the past couple of days.

That's what I want him to do as he begins developing as a person. Always look for ways to be better tomorrow. I want him to always be thankful for what he has today, but to always look for ways to be better at what he applies himself to. His career, his passions, his wife and family.

We all have dreams and aspirations for ourselves. Those who reach those dreams have something in common. They get better. We all have the potential to do what makes us happy in life. To say we can't is just an excuse. A big part of reaching that potential is honest self-evaluation and improvement.

Sometimes I wonder if it's easier to instill good characteristics in him through learning experiences or do it through inception.

No comments:

Post a Comment